Anyone who objectively observes politics, politicians, and elected officials, soon realizes and recognizes, the one thing, most have in common, is their degree of personal cowardice! The late Senator Charles Goodell, put it this way, Politicians are like antelopes. When things get tough, they paint their behinds white, and run with the crowd. Today, we seem to be witnessing, a society which is more polarized, and willing to blame and complain, so as to justify, any personal failures and/ or insecurities they possess! This has certainly been identified, and used to his personal political gain, by President Donald Trump, who appears to do and say, almost anything, to avoid/ escape personal responsibility, and merely complain (without offering realistic, reasonable, viable solutions) and blame others (throwing others, under the bus), for anything which might possibly, not work out, in a politically, popular way. Recent events in Charlottesville, Virginia, which demonstrated, both a high degree of hatred, and anti – Semitism, and brought out individuals, who referred to themselves, as Alt/ Right, neo – Nazis, and White Supremacists, and resulted in the greatest degree of overt polarization, and racial bias and hatred, this nation has witnessed in a half century, at least, have also demonstrated, how must politicians depart from genuine, responsible leadership! Common sense should tell us, hatred is always wrong, and unbelievably, un – American!
1. Neo – Nazis, and White Supremacists: How can anyone defend Neo – Nazis and White Supremacists? Even more essential to consider, while freedoms of speech, expression, etc, are protected rights of Americans, vitriol, dangerous rhetoric, rampant hatred, bias, and bigotry, should be abhorrent, to anyone who believes in our Constitution, and what America, should, and must stand for!
Alt-right and Neo-Nazi views are deemed as acceptable by 22 million Americans
2. Other hate groups: Any hate group, or group which focuses on violence, rather than seeking common ground, and a meeting of the minds, is undesirable! Whether one agrees with the sentiments, etc, it is essential to emphasize quality, and what America, must stand for!
3. Islamophobia: It’s always dangerous, to hate something or others, and to generalize the misdeeds and/ or bad behavior of a few, rather than treating others, fairly, and as individuals! We all oppose terrorism, but if we proceed towards hate, as in Islamophobia, as George Carlin said, The terrorists win.
4. Singling out any one group: Remember the poem/ classic story, about the Nazis, coming for others, and not doing anything, because it didn’t affect someone personally/ directly, but when, they finally, came for them, there was nobody left, to speak up for them! Never again must be a core philosophy, rather than empty rhetoric!
5. George Carlin’s The terrorists win: Emphasizing negatives, pitting one ethnicity or group, against another, and focusing on blaming and complaining, weakens the soul of the American spirit and purpose. Recent times seem to demonstrate, the wisdom of his words!
It’s common sense – hatred is bad, especially when elected officials encourage, or even don’t clearly stand up, to discourage it! Why would any well – meaning individual, ever, do anything less than, clearly, forcefully, oppose hatred, bias and bigotry?
Richard has owned businesses, been a COO, CEO, Director of Development, consultant, professionally run events, consulted to thousands, conducted personal development seminars, and been involved in political campaigns, for 4 decades. Rich has written three books and thousands of articles. Website: http://plan2lead.net and LIKE the Facebook page for common sense politics: http://facebook.com/commonsense4all
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Richard_Brody/492539
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9775407